This is the second blog in a series of blogs examining the differences between New Jersey Lien Law and Pennsylvania Lien Law. Read part one discussing notice and timing differences here.

Since these states share a border, and many contractors operate in both states, they should be aware of the differences in the corresponding Lien Law Statutes. One key difference between the two states concerning the ability to file construction liens by a contractor is the writing requirement. Pennsylvania and New Jersey are on the polar opposites of the spectrum when it comes to the necessary writings to file a lien claim on a property.

Continue Reading New Jersey Lien Law vs. Pennsylvania Lien Law: The Writing Requirement

When community association board members hire a transition attorney for their condominium or homeowners association, they may not know exactly what to look for. They may not know much about transition to begin with, or may not know the right questions to ask in order to find the right transition attorney. If your association is looking for a transition attorney, or you are reconsidering the one you have, the following may help you to identify the right transition attorney.

Continue Reading How to Know You Have the Right Transition Attorney for Your Community Association

In the context of construction litigation, a question may arise whether a matter should be initiated in state court or federal court. Each Court might have jurisdiction to hear the matter under several different theories. Discussed below are the principal manners in which it is determined whether a state court or federal court has jurisdiction to hear a dispute.

Continue Reading Construction Litigation Jurisdiction in Federal Court or State Court

As all general contractors are aware, problems often arise during the performance of a construction project with subcontractors or vendors who are improperly performing pursuant to the terms of their contract. The question becomes what is the best way to address these issues in order to contain them, and moreover, to ensure a smooth transition to replacement a contractor or vendor if necessary. This article shall give a brief overview of some steps that a contractor can take.

Continue Reading Dealing With a Derelict Subcontractor

In the course of providing construction services for commercial properties, a contractor often performs jobs where they are providing materials and services to a commercial tenant at a leased property. What contractors need to be aware, however, of their rights to file a construction lien concerning work performed for a tenant on a leased property. The pivotal fact in this analysis is whether the owner of the property consented to the improvements that were performed. As discussed below, this ultimately determines whether the lien possesses any true value.

Continue Reading Construction Liens Against a Leased Premises