The New Jersey Redevelopment Authority (“NJRA”) will launch the Small Business Lease Emergency Assistance Grant Program on August 10, 2020. The program will allow businesses in 64 eligible municipalities to apply for grants of up to $10,000 for lease costs. The program will assist small business owners impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic, which also assists landlords, many of whom are also small businesses. Grants will be made on a first come, first serve basis.
- Business must be located in one of the 64 eligible municipalities listed here.
- The business must have no more than 5,000 square feet of leased space.
- Operating prior to March 1, 2020, and either:
- A small business leasing commercial space in mixed-use buildings;
- A small business leasing space in commercial buildings; or
- A storefront business.
- Most businesses are eligible to apply for this program except for: gambling and gaming activities, the conduct or purveyance of “adult” (i.e., pornographic, lewd, prurient, obscene or otherwise similarly disreputable) activities, services, products, or materials (including nude, or semi-nude performances or the sale of sexual aids or devices); any auction or bankruptcy or fire or “lost-our-lease” or “going-out-of-business” or similar sales; sales by transient merchants, Christmas tree sales, or other outdoor storage; any activity constituting a nuisance; or any illegal purposes. Tattoo shops, vaping and marijuana dispensaries, and any business involved in selling alcohol are also ineligible.
Eligible businesses can receive a grant of up to $10,000. The funds will be provided to your landlord once the grant agreement is executed by both parties and returned to NJRA. The funds will be provided via ACH.
Documentation needed to apply:
- Completed online application. The application can be found here.
- Current tax clearance certifications. If you do not have a tax clearance certificate you will need to certify that to the best of your knowledge you do not owe any taxes to the State of New Jersey as part of the application process.
- Current executed lease agreement.
- If approved, an executed grant agreement will be provided by NJRA to be executed by tenant and landlord.