“Why can’t I pay my child support directly to my child” is a common question.  While this may be a reasonable consideration for an unemancipated child in college or living independently, this is not reasonable for a child living at home with a parent.   Child support is intended to cover the following needs of a child:    Housing, food, clothing, transportation, $250/yr in unreimbursed/uninsured medical expenses, and entertainment.  By and large, these expenses are paid for by the parent with whom the child resides with the majority of the time (a/k/a Parent of Primary Residence).

Thus, it is necessary for the Parent of Alternate Residence to provide the Parent of Primary Residence with the money so  that he/she can pay those expenses for the child(ren).